Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hole in a Field, Chap 23


A little while ago I wrote a short story for the L. Ron Hubbard "Writers of the Future Contest".  I did not win, and I know why, my story is really more horror than Science Fiction or Fantasy.  But I decided that I will post each chapter here on my blog.  There are 37 very short chapters, for a total of 15,000 words, about a fifth of a modern novel.  Here is the start.

Chapter 23:
Todd’s phone rang, and in doing so caused his focus on the universe to tighten. He saw the reflection in the glass of Allison stalking up behind him.  He turned quickly with a sweeping move of his forearm and dropped his center into a fighting stance.  Allison stood there, back overly straight, eyes still discolored and opened far too wide. She was smiling brightly in a cold and threatening manner.

“What are you?”  Todd asked, not conceding any of his alertness in doing so.  His phone continued to ring.

“Here,” answered a rasping voice through Allison’s clenched teeth.

Keeping on guard, Todd shifted away from Allison, who turned to keep staring at him but made no more movements to close the distance between them.  He then reached for his phone, eyes remaining fixed on Allison.

“Don’t mind me, just going to get this,” said Todd to Allison as he pressed his phone to his ear.  He heard a hiss, then the plink and plunk of an old instrument grinding itself to life… a merry-go-round. The music played into Todd’s ear as he stared intently and with growing unease at Allison.  Then the music disappeared and he heard distant whispers, Allison’s whispers… The phone went dead.

“What is your name?”  Todd growled the words.

“Allison.” Again through clenched teeth the words hissed out.

“You’re lying.”

“You caught me.”  The color was draining from Allison’s face.  “Come on, smile. Doesn’t hurt me, and it won’t hurt you.”  She hissed longer and deeper.

“Tell me what is going on.”  It was all Todd could think of to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment