Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hole in a Field, Chap 34


A little while ago I wrote a short story for the L. Ron Hubbard "Writers of the Future Contest".  I did not win, and I know why, my story is really more horror than Science Fiction or Fantasy.  But I decided that I will post each chapter here on my blog.  There are 37 very short chapters, for a total of 15,000 words, about a fifth of a modern novel.  Here is the start.

Chapter 34:
Allison and Maxwell had reached an odd end to their walk, a window through which the carnival outside could be seen in all its glittering and glowing glory.

“I can say that I was definitely not expecting to see a giant carnival,” said Allison.

“That was everybody’s reaction.”  Maxwell cast his eyes to the sky, which he had not really expected to see again, and was underwhelmed as the glow of the freakish hell he was still in blotted out the night sky.  “At least we’re not underground anymore.”

“Yeah, but this isn't where you need to be. Break this and all you’ll be is back out there.  Wait… is that?”  Allison saw a man running and gunning like the action star he always claimed to be when they hung out at motels and in the office.  “Todd…”

Maxwell focused in on the running man with the gun who was dropping with surprising skill one after another in a legion of clowns that wouldn't stay down. More just kept springing out of booths and from rides.  “ We've got to help him.”

Allison watched as Todd approached the Crooked House but she didn't even know if the front door was still open.  “He’s going to die.”

Maxwell began smashing at the glass with his gun butt. Cracks and fractures appeared.  “Fuck!  Damn it!”  Maxwell cursed and smashed, and then stood helpless as Todd was tackled down in front of them. The clowns descended, and he disappeared from sight.

Tears poured down Allison’s face as she whispered, “I’m sorry.”  She then saw one clown that gave her a deep shiver. It was herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment