Sunday, February 25, 2018

Poem, "Rot of Memory"


Rot of Memory

The rot permeates all cloth
Disgusting me in this damp land
Seemingly where mist was invented

And lazy and hazy thoughts
Akin to tranquilizers
Having the light fade,

When finely crafted,
Though lightly damaged,
Heart and mind cried for the missed opportunity
Never to kiss your lips again
In a room of harsh shadows
Cast by a lamp upended
Knocked by thrown clothing.

Things escalate in the dark:
The shabby curtains tossed by cold air
Sails carrying away our inhibitions;

Reality, and the crispness of now
Serve as a stony beach
On which those ships crash ashore

I crawl out of the sea;
The air stinking with wet.
The dawn now uncaringly rising
A single determined beam of sunlight
Landing on my bloodshot eye

Memory and peace
I am here
You are not


______________________________

            I wrote this after reading "Vespers" by Denis Johnson, and taking it in a different direction.

______________________________
            If you like or hate this please take the time to comment, +1, share on Twitter (click that link to follow me), Tumblr, or Facebook, and otherwise distribute my opinion to the world.  I would appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment