Saturday, October 7, 2017

The Value of Sanctuary Cities

A Group Against Sanctuary Cities
            I just today found a political action group that wanted me to send an email to my Senator Bill Nelson asking him to end Sanctuary Cities.  As I think Sanctuary cities are a good thing I carefully edited their email to say this:
-----
I am writing to inform you I support sanctuary cities.

Sanctuary cities allow immigrants to approach the police and report crimes without fear of deportation.  This leads to safer communities for both the residents and the officers.

Sanctuary cities promote public safety because in the end, dangerous criminals will not find sanctuary among communities that have no reason to fear talking to the police.  In fact, there is no evidence that these communities have any crime beyond what would be expected for an area with their population density.

Senator, please do not let racism and stupidity damage America any further.
-----




Their Response to Me and My Reply
            After sending it, they sent me an email thanking me for my support and so I responded to them, pointing out my edits and explaining my feelings toward their group.

-----
Hello,

I consider your group to be racist idiots, so rather than send your form letter I carefully edited it to support Sanctuary Cities.

I hope you stop your campaign of white nationalism and instead learn to focus on making the United States a better place for all the people who live here, even if they didn't fill out piles of paperwork for the privilege, paperwork drawn up by racists like yourself from another era.

You can be better than what you are.  All you have to do is not persecute innocent people.

Grow up, grow a sense of decency, and be better than what you are.
-----

Political Discourse
            Am I wasting my time?  Almost certainly.  Their website (and their form email) pushed the idea that sanctuary cities are hiding grounds for criminals, including rapists and murderers.  This is wrong, both on a moral level or being fear mongering garbage, and statistically wrong, as I explained above.
            I would recommend to you that if you see a group like this one you take the time to speak against them as I have done or in whatever way you feel comfortable.  And beyond that adopt some of their methods, by which I mean contact those senators and congresspeople you disagree with and tell them what you believe.

            I have done this in the past with Senator Rubio about the refugees/travel ban and about net neutrality.  It perhaps accomplished nothing, but it is one more piece of paperwork sitting in a file somewhere that will illustrate my feelings to some future generation and their response will also be recorded as to being on a side, right or wrong.


______________________________
            If you like or hate this please take the time to comment, +1, share on Twitter (click that link to follow me), Tumblr, or Facebook, and otherwise distribute my opinion to the world.  I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment