Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Halloween Horror Nights 2018


I went to Halloween Horror Nights this year.  I managed to visit all of the houses, the Villains Academy dance show, and pass thru all the scare zones.  I also managed to go on “The Mummy” ride and the Rock-It Roller Coaster (which, while a good coaster, its theme feels like a parody of what “the youth” thinks is cool).
While I can say that the scare zones were fine, and the dance show was… Lame, I am sorry, there were cool things in it, but overall it did not come together… Everyone knows that the houses are what people are there to see.  So, I am going to review them, as I have done in the past.
I was going to put these in no particular order, then afterword I tried to shuffle them from lamest to best, here are my thoughts on each house.


10) Carnival Graveyard: Rust in Pieces
Rednecks/Carnies hold up in the rusting ruin of an abandoned carnival, and they are all dressed to theme… because I guess they are auditioning to be minions for the Joker.
            This one suffered from multiple issues.  While in my mind, scary carnival is easy to pull off (I wrote a whole novelette with that premise) this one was kind of bland with the idea.  I mean killers in carnival garb is fine, could have a lot of visual variety… But it mostly just shook out to the word “trespassers” written in red paint next to a fake dead body with a pitchfork in it.
            The timing on this one was also off for me, I missed a good chunk of the scares.

9) Slaughter Sinema
Let’s take the idea of grindhouse drive in movies and make a series of different spoof films with horror themes.
The potential for visual variety in this one was high, and several of the areas were really cool… I wish that they had managed to scare me more.
            The timing of the scares was COSMICALLY off.  There was a whole area I walked thru with NOTHING moving.  At some points I was literally squinting into the darkness because I wanted to SEE the thing that was going to jump out at the next person in line.
            This could have been my favorite, but failure of execution kept it from delivering.

8) The Horrors of Blumhouse
A split house featuring scenes from “Happy Death Day” (which was a time loop movie with a masked killer) and “The First Purge” (latest in the surprisingly iconic franchise).
            What an odd pairing.  “Happy Death Day” is a comedy about… a masked killer which does not make for an interesting visual experience.  I have to admit, they do something clever with the house, repeating the same bedroom scene multiple times from different angles to simulate the movie… But it is not scary.
            “The Purge” side of things is better, because the killers all wear a range of diverse and badass masks… I will have to talk about “The Purge” franchise one of these days… But, the house doesn’t really work overall.  Two tastes that taste bland together.

7) Seeds of Extinction
Alien plant life is spreading out and unleashing humanoid plant monsters on the world.
            I like the concept and the setting was nice… I think I would have liked the monsters a lot more if I could freaking see them.  The thing was so poorly lit, it was harder to see in this house than the house where going blind is part of the gimmick.
            I feel this is a bit of a letdown, but not actually bad.

6) Stranger Things
Iconic scenes from one of the best shows in existence.
            It’s fine.  I like the show, as a show.  I get a mild mental *ping* from recognizing something from the show as a room in the house.  I can appreciate the cool monster suit.  This is not particularly scary.  My emotional response was quite mellow.


5) Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Michael Myers is out and swinging his knife wildly at people yet again.
This was the last house we went to and we almost didn’t bother.  Previous years’ “Halloween” houses have been kind of ‘meh’.  This has more to do with my personal ambivalence toward the series (the first one is good in the sense of being a classic, but I actually like the strangeness of number 3 more).  A masked killer is just not that impressive to me from a visuals standpoint, and not conducive to an imaginative house.
That all being said, this one was pretty good.  The timing hit me multiple times and I think it was just laid out well so that I wasn’t constantly aware of where the scare was coming from.  A well-constructed house makes up for blah source material.

4) Dead Exposure: Patient Zero
World War I era zombie outbreak in France… and you are going blind.
This was a surprise highlight for the evening.  The use of lights coming up and fading out, odd flashes, mirrors, and holograms they were able to put a good spin on what could have just been a zombie house with a period setting.
Not everything about it worked, the speakers going in were too loud; one room was just flashing bulbs; but, it had one of the best singular rooms when the lights come on with a zombie, and then go out, only to then return without the zombie.  Cool effect see that is hard to explain the interesting aspects of in words.

3) Poltergeist
A family is haunted by a variety of strange occurrences.
“Poltergeist” is one of my favorite scary movies.  It is well paced, has numerous interesting set pieces and has a likable cast of characters doing their best.
This house was kind of great.  With several HUGE items showing off some of the scariest images in the movie.  I find the use of that clown toy to be a bit much, a consequence of that remake NO ONE SAW.  But, if you have to grab onto memorable things… the clown is memorable.  My biggest complaint is that the house starts at the end of the movie, with coffins and dead bodies erupting out of the ground, like… why?
This might be the best house.  Really the top 3 are all pretty even with one another.

2) Trick ‘r Treat
Based on a movie more people need to watch.  A series of different horror stories weave in and out of one another on Halloween night.
This was conducive to lots of visual variety, undead children, vampire, serial killer, werewolves, and Sam, the creepy sack boy mascot character.
Literally the only issue I had is that right in the front the path splits, I was unsure which direction to walk down, and ended up on a dead-end that should have had a staff member to point me in the right direction.  Aside from that there were plenty of cool images and my friends held it as one of the highlights of the whole visit.

Watch this movie.

1) Scary Tales: Deadly Ever After
Evil interpretations of fairy tales. 
A series of fairy tales, with the wicked witch, humpty dumpty, the three pigs, goldilocks, Rapunzel, and others.  All of them done as horror monsters.  I loved it.  Only one of them did not make any sense to me and that was Humpty Dumpty, but I don’t know what they could have done… That’s not true I immediately have an idea just saying it out loud to myself.  But, that is fine.
Perhaps the most visually interesting of all the houses.  My personal favorite.

Conclusion
I liked Halloween Horror Nights this year more than last.  I got to take in everything, spend plenty of time with most of my friends from grad school, and really the spending time with friends was the core appeal here… the park was just an excuse to see people I used to either live with or live a 5-minute walk from.
I had intended to do this review in multiple parts, but I was busy mentally gearing up for a big test (probably write something about that later) and this just slipped down the priorities list as frivolity is wont to do.
As a side note, why don’t they bring back “Rocky Horror Picture Show”?  I liked it.

______________________________
            If you like or hate this please take the time to comment, +1, share on Twitter (click that link to follow me), Tumblr, or Facebook, and otherwise distribute my opinion to the world.  I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment