Sunday, November 19, 2017

Dungeons and Dragons, "Character Ideas" episode 1

A Too Long Introduction
            A while back I wrote up some short biographies for characters I thought about using in a 5th edition game of Dungeons and Dragons.  While I ended up using only one of them and have since moved on to running a game rather than playing in one.  However, and let’s be honest here, the most fun there is in Dungeons and Dragons is making a character.
            Since I like doing it, I figured I would make a chart in Excel and start checking off class/background combinations, by the end of this writing exercise I will have 156 character ideas.  I have decided not to include races, subraces, sub classes, or the backgrounds from supplemental materials.  Just the Players Handbook… FOR NOW.


            For fun, I will also give a numerical rating for whether I think something is “Interesting”.  There are characters that are so common as to be arch typical or even cliché, but maybe there is a reason they are so common, because they are just that intriguing.  Feel free to disagree or offer your own suggestions and objections in the comments.
            If you would like to share some of your own unused character ideas, do so in the comments, maybe use this format (maybe get it to catch on, I like its simplicity) and try and keep to a shorter length, you don’t want people to “tldr” your stuff.
            One more thing worth mentioning, I will make an effort to include a variety of different fantasy races in my character creation.  I have written before that I could run an entire fantasy world with just humans and see most fantasy races as too bland to be seen as meaningfully different from humanity (elves, to me, are too often played as just tall humans with pointy ears).  I also know that this is not an opinion shared by most and I want to try and expand my own horizons.


What Have I Got?  Wanderers.
            I recommend as a DM, that if you have the luxury of having your players making characters as a group, picking a theme of 1-5 words to serve as an inspiration seems like a good idea.
            I decided to choose a theme for all of the characters I made today to illustrate this, that of the Wanderer.  It is an easy theme to work with in Dungeons and Dragons as most adventurers have to go to a large number of places to go on a wide variety of adventures.  That being said, I managed to get 3 of them to fit a subtheme of “Exile”.  They are out and about, but not super happy about it.  Maybe I am feeling too brooding these days. 



Name: Katarina Othronus, the Exiled Diaspora
Class: Barbarian (Wolf Totem)
Race: Half Elf
Background: Outlander
History: My mother’s ancestors were once good people.  Our homeland was vast and shielded from the world by white and violet mountains to the east, and the glittering sea to the west.  Then the Sea People came.  Our glittering sea once full of little fishing boats was replaced with the burnt red of a sun setting on water full of bodies and burning sails.  Our city was sacked, and while once upon a time those mountains seemed impassable, my people fled thru their tight paths to the land of my father’s people, the Elves.
Goals: My elf side sees the length of time stretched out before me and my clan, a century has passed since the humans fled from the Sea People, and in another century, unable to grasp that there is no return they may fade from this world, forgotten.
            My human side, filled with burning human blood, can’t let that happen.  I feel within me the anger of thousands of dead ancestors killed in my homeland.  I feel the rage of many thousands more lost in a land unknown to their forbearers.  I see in the night the packs of wolves moving thru the forest and know that my pack, my people, must go back to our homeland, we must not simply fade from this world.
Rating: 4/5 (please leave your own numerical score for these in the comments)
            While “Outlander” and “Barbarian” go together like bacon and eggs I think that greater depth can be plumbed by contextualizing the “Outlander” as someone in exile, the Barbarian’s rage as the rage of their ancestry, the totem of wolf being taken up as a symbol of unity, and the mixed heritage providing internal conflict.  All of these elements together allowed me to take something that could have been the 10,000 Barbarian from the land of Barbarians and instead create something much more original.  This is a person who wants to reclaim a homeland they have never been to, while at the same time belonging to another homeland that sees such efforts as a small thing compared to the vast history of the elves.




Name: Ribbles, the Bawdy
Class: Bard (Lore)
Race: Gnome (Forest)
Background: Sailor
History: I would like to think of myself as something of a pioneer.  If I am not the inventor of insult comedy, something I did while cooking roast pig in an island port full of Summer Elves… Well, if I am not the inventor then I am at the very least a truly lauded explorer and developer in the field.
            I have traveled to dozens of ports and talked with every prostitute, gambler, drinker, and ne’er-do-well I can find to find better, more disgusting ways of making people laugh at themselves.  Sometimes they laugh so hard it hurts.
Goals: I am composing my manifesto.  It will be the longest and most comprehensive book ever written on the topic of insults.  Drawn from port towns all over the world, from as many languages as I can interact with, and with etymology to explain how new words and insults evolved in such a hazardous environment.
            Ports are a breeding ground… and not just for bastards like you, but for language.   People from all over the world enter these colosseums of vulgarity to do battle with beasts of insults, most of which are just colorful ways of calling each other “ass”.   Once I have my book altogether, I will compose the single greatest insult I can, the best ever made, and I will use it on the concept of humorlessness itself.  I will kill it dead, giving everyone in the world a good chuckle at how impotent and shit such things are.
Rating: 3/5
            I have no idea how I managed to come up with a gnome writing a manifesto on insults, that idea poured out of my brain in all one sitting.  The only difficulty I see with this character is that the person playing them has to be able to say clever insults, or at least poetic ones.  I know that I can do that, half of the NPC’s I play are sarcastic in such a fashion, but most people will just come off as attention seeking edge lords, and will bring down the room by being mean instead of funny.


Name: Dain of No Clan, the Honorable Exiled
Class: Rogue (Assassin)
Race: Dwarf (Hill)
Background: Soldier
History: Dwarves are “Honorable”.  Dwarves are “Forthright”.  Dwarves are “Unsubtle” and “Brash” and many other adjectives that do not couple with the word “Assassin”.  There is a reason for that.  Dwarven commandos, dubbed “Sharp Flints” are a well-guarded cultural secret by the clans.  “Sharpened of the Darkest Stone” is the call to action, and the ability to push that sharp stone into the throats of the clan’s foes is the mission.
            After the last conflict, the King refused to call it a war, I was granted “Honorable Exile” as reward for my time in the Sharp Flints.  My actions during the war were considered so beneath the honor of the Dwarven people that I could not be allowed back into the society whose safety I had helped secure, but so noble was my sacrifice they would not punish or damn me in their histories.
Goals: My name will be written on a black stone tablet and kept in a vault, secure till the times of judgement when the Lords of the Caverns return to guide the Dwarven people into the next world.  When they come, the tablets will be broken, and I shall join my people in the next world.  My honor and place in the clan restored.  As for right now, I am free to use my sharp stone on all the wicked fools and villains I find.  Let’s go find some.
Rating: 2/5
            Let’s be clear, the role of “Soldier” is not meant for certain classes.  The Rogue is typically drawn to Criminal and Charlatan backgrounds, those seem like the most logical for a class based around stealth and opportunism.  The subclasses for Rogue are also not suited for the role of a conventional Soldier.  This is not the sort of contrast that leads to creativity, this is the sort of contrast that just doesn’t really fit.
            Since I had to make such an odd fit, I looked for the race that would have the biggest break culturally and then worked to connect the dots.  Dwarves are not typically Rogues but are often Soldiers, what if even their Rogues were seen as a type of Soldier?  Did it work?  I don’t know.  I could not come up with goals aside from, “do good till I die and go to heaven”.  Which is admittedly weak.  This is definitely the weakest individual character of this lot.




Name: Karg
Class: Paladin (Vengeance)
Race: Half Orc
Background: Criminal
History: In this Kingdom, I am a crime.  I represent the pollution of the good, natural, noble blood of the populace by the foreign menace who wish to rape the women, and emasculate the men.  I am the product of rape according to the laws of this Kingdom.  Never mind my mother’s happy tears on the day of her wedding to my father.  Forget the years of secret love and devotion.  Ignore the endless aching sobs she cried next to the spot where they burned my father’s body.  She was the victim, he was a criminal, and I am the crime.
            I am a crime by birth.
            My father was tied to a tree, to die of exposure over the course of days, and then his body burned in a pit.  He came to me in dreams when I was young, to play games, give me the hugs I had never gotten, and to teach me to farm.  They were all dreams of a man I never met and will never have the chance to live up to.  He was a peaceful person.  Strong enough to work a farm and forge.  Strong enough to be in love.
Goals: I will have my revenge on the bigots who destroyed my father.  Vengeance for the little boy I was.  I will burn this toxic dump of a kingdom to the ground.  I will mount the head of the King on a post and throw garbage at it.  I will kill until there are no more of them to beg forgiveness from my wrath.  When they are all gone, maybe, just maybe… I will find some peace in the afterlife.  On a little farm, a child again, hugged tight in the arms of my father to live the life I was denied.
Rating: 5/5
            This, I think, is one of the intersections that has been made a little too easy in 5th edition.  In previous editions a Paladin was required to be a paragon of virtue and as such the only way to make them a criminal was to assume the government declaring such a thing was evil, Sheriff of Nottingham style.
            5th edition though, provides a much greyer form of Paladin.  This option is what I have chosen to do here.  The path of Vengeance is the most personal and least good of the Paladin subclasses in the players handbook, but at the same time it does ostensibly have an end goal that can be reached, Revenge.  Once the character has their vengeance, the question of where they go and what they do from there is intriguing and something that could make for a cool story in the context of a game.
            If you are a fan of science fiction I feel I should point out that most of the inspiration for this character was G’Kar from “Babylon 5” (the name is an anagram).  G’Kar was defined by vengeance for nearly two whole seasons before having a religious experience and shifting tracks to become one of the spiritual heroes of the series; in fact, his quest for vengeance was so tied into his persona, the villains of the show did not see him as useful in the long term because he had no aspirations beyond vengeance, and they wanted to align with those who had vision for the future.
            I have talked about “Babylon 5” before, but as it relates to Alignment in Dungeons and Dragons, I highly recommend the show (the first 10-12 episodes are pretty weak, but everything after that till season 5 is considered some of the best science fiction ever produced).
            Another small bit of inspiration?  “Born a Crime” the title of Trevor Noah’s book on growing up mixed race in Apartheid South Africa.

Outro

            What do you all think?  Do you have a request for a class/background combo?  Did you play one of the combos I have featured and want to share your spin on it?  Post in the comments.



______________________________
            If you like or hate this please take the time to comment, +1, share on Twitter (click that link to follow me), Tumblr, or Facebook, and otherwise distribute my opinion to the world.  I would appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment