Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hole in a Field, Chap 27


A little while ago I wrote a short story for the L. Ron Hubbard "Writers of the Future Contest".  I did not win, and I know why, my story is really more horror than Science Fiction or Fantasy.  But I decided that I will post each chapter here on my blog.  There are 37 very short chapters, for a total of 15,000 words, about a fifth of a modern novel.  Here is the start.

Chapter 27:
Todd heard laughter fade from Allison’s body as the blood pooled around it. His chest was clawed and getting sticky with blood and he was shivering, partially just from the sudden noise, mostly from the form of his dead dear friend at his feet.  Todd looked at his phone again. A text was ready to be read. He clicked the open key and from Allison the message was: 'sorry you had to do that; keep strong; I’ll miss you; thanks<3.'

Todd sat back against the wall of the doctor’s office and all the pieces started to come together. He needed more info on the specifics, but he knew—

The laughter from outside seemed distant, but cruel in nature.  Todd crawled to the ground beneath the window and took a quick glance outside, but all he saw were the red and bright eyes of the clown inches away, staring at him from the other side of the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment