Friday, June 3, 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge: Day 19


            I decided to do the 30 day movie challenge as a blog series as it ties into my blog activities rather easily and I am once again not blogging my usual series with regularity in spite of saying that I would.
            Today is "A Movie that I wish I had seen in the Theater".  And now the prompt is just kind of useless.  I do not need to see a movie in the theater to enjoy it.  Theaters are expensive, they have people in them that complain when you crack wise too frequently, and while it is cool when an entire theater full of people clap or cheer at an especially cheesy awesome scene or speech, the fact is that I can have just as much enjoyment watching a movie with friends at home.  In fact the only thing going to a movie in the theater does: is remind you how you are there by yourself, and how much that makes you a loser.  All that being said, "Star Wars: A New Hope".

Funny Caption Goes Here
            In addition to being the most up to date special effects piece of the time, with the best musical score in a movie up till that point (I hesitate to say for certain, but it may be the best original score for film of all time), most importantly, "Star Wars" changed things.

And in turn, nerds changed it.
            You want to know why trilogies became such a big thing?  That was "Star Wars".  What to know why science fiction went through a renaissance (The "Star Trek" franchise, "Conan: The Barbarian", "Blade Runner", "Ghost Busters", "Back to the Future", etc.) in the 80's?  That was "Star Wars".  I can say that I don't know what people thought about the movie initially, but I would like to imagine them going in with skepticism and interest, and leaving more than a bit wide eyed.


            I have a personal running joke about the new "Star Wars" movies, imagining what they would have been like had then been written and directed by a real master of Science fiction and fantasy, like J.J. Abrams, Joss Whedon, or god forbid George Lucas of 77'.

Its like a pitch for a nerdy buddy cop flick.  Whose for this being the pairing for Booster Gold and Blue Beetle?

No comments:

Post a Comment