Monday, June 6, 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge: Day 22


            I decided to do the 30 day movie challenge as a blog series as it ties into my blog activities rather easily and I am once again not blogging my usual series with regularity in spite of saying that I would.
            Today is "A Movie that I watch when happy".  Well, that is sort of easy, "Conan the Barbarian".  It has it all: boobs, sword fights, giant snakes, sorcery... Wait a minute!  I did this already.  Less than a week ago in fact.  I linked to that entry in yesterday's entry.  I'm going insane.  Okay then, I guess a pinch hitter in order.  Mel Brooks, what have you got for me?  "Spaceballs".


            A parody of "Star Wars" this film takes Luke Skywalker out of the picture and instead combines his character with Han Solo to produce Lonestar, who is played by Bill Pullman, the President from "Independence Day".  It also has John Candy playing the Chewbacca stand in, a half man half dog.  But really the star of the thing is Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet, the tiny parody of Darth Vader that is just so astoundingly pathetic that comes full circle and becomes terrifying again; like watching that kid who always got picked on get absolute power and go crazy with it.

Some of you are laughing at this.

            It's fantastically stupid.  If there is anything I can say about it, as much as I like it, the joke is complete.  There is no need to make a "Spaceballs: Episode 2", but sadly kinda did.  They released an animated series originally on G4, and now youtube (do not click the link).  It wasn't just unfunny, it was anti-funny, damaging a lot of the humor that you could find in the movie, tainting it with just bad association.  I find this so full of poetic irony it makes me confused.

KILL IT WITH FIRE!
             And really that is all I have to say about this.  It is good, go watch it, avoid the series.  And also remember this old adage by the movie's creator, Mel Brooks, "Tragedy is when I prick my finger, comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."  I think the cartoon was him shoving us down the open manhole.

I am shocked that I oculdn't find a picture of this man flicking off the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment