Saturday, June 4, 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge: Day 20


            I decided to do the 30 day movie challenge as a blog series as it ties into my blog activities rather easily and I am once again not blogging my usual series with regularity in spite of saying that I would.
            Today is "A Movie that describes Me".  Let's see a desperate nerd who aspires to writing and college life that will hopefully live up to the mental construct he has elaborately imagined and depends on?  The movie is "OrangeCounty".
Yep.  "Orange".  Cause it's in the title.  Clever move, poster guy.

            Screwed by his school guidance councilor that sent the wrong transcripts into Stanford with his name on them, Colin Hanks must make a desperate road trip to the campus to correct the error in person.  His lunatic brother and supportive girlfriend are there to assist.  Along the way he buts heads with his mother, father, and more incompetents in hopes of meeting the Stanford Prof. that wrote his favorite book and inspired him to try and become a writer.  The movie is very funny, tightly scripted, and has numerous good actors in roles that range from cameo to central figure.  It is like every second banana actor of talent was in this movie except for David Hyde Peirce.
Why is this picture here?  I don't know, cause he isn't in the movie.

            Not everything lines up in my life and this movie.  While I always had problems with school bureaucrats, nothing of thismagnitude ever came up.  I never had a girlfriend in high school, neither was I big into beach sports (though I suppose you could sub out Dungeons and Dragons as the friend activity).  And while my dad can be work crazy, my brother over the top, and my mom neurotic, as all people can be, nothing to this extreme.  At the same time I'm not quite this smart or over achieving, mostly content to do what I can to advance without giving myself ulcers.
Jack Black is in this though, and unfortunately is frequently shirtless.

            I actually did some personal awards and mini-reviews for the year 2002 and had completely forgotten about this movie which is a shame, while not a film everyone has seen and loved it is a very good movie, so I guess this little spotlight which serves no other purpose then a positive review, and thus no personal reflection of depth, I can consider this 30 day movie challenge entry as an apology to the movie for my earlier neglect.
The supporting cast has a lot of character to it, none of them feel like they don't really need to be there or that they have no jokes to tell, all of them get a bit of a moment in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment