Thursday, December 22, 2016

Favorite Disney Classic

            I have not been posting nearly enough this year and I want to steer back from that.  To that end I have found a 30-day blog challenge and fluffed it out to 31 entries (since December has 31 days).  I have done a 30-day challenge before for movies, though that one was poorly executed (I started it in the middle of a month, at one point I posted 2 entries on one day, it is a mess).  I did another one just this year in August on Video Games, that one was better, go read it after this one, all of it.  Or don’t, no pressure.

            Today is day 22 and the topic is “Favorite Classic Movie”.

“Classic”
Classic means pre-1980 in my mind.  I do realize that while that predates my existence on Earth by some years there are many people who remember the good old days of… Not having cell phones, personal computers, GPS, and the trillions of technological conveniences that we have now?  Whatever.
Point is, I have to set some arbitrary barrier on what I am looking at because Disney is in the business of making instant classics.  Classics that will still be selling copies of holo-disks or VR simulations or whatever else format will be used in the dystopian future we are all marching toward just a little bit faster now.  That is why the concept of the Disney Vault allowed them to sell lots of VHS copies of “Pinocchio” and “Bambie” in the 90’s.
To say that “Toy Story” or “Tangled” are not classics would be silly, so how far do you go back?  I went with the idea of, “Anything before the decade I was born, that way there is less chance I saw it even on tape.”

My Pick
“Alice in Wonderland” (1951) is perhaps my favorite “classic” by Disney.  An adaptation of two of the best books ever written in English, “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking-Glass” both penned by noted creepy pervert, Lewis Carroll as part of wooing a little girl he had fallen in love with.


That is all true.  Perhaps the creepy origins are why the simple tale of a young girl drinking a mysterious liquid and then journeying thru a world of trippy imagery and great poetry adapts so well into twisted and macabre settings and somehow terribly by Tim Burton—everyone makes mistakes.
Disney takes segments from each of the two books—thankfully dropping the indestructible baby scene which I find disturbing—and putting them altogether in a long chain of random, “And then this happened” nonsense.  I don’t like everything about it and kind of wish that Disney would give it the live action treatment it did with “Cinderella” (which I didn’t like much) and “The Jungle Book” (which I liked a great deal).  There are things that could be “fixed” or improved on.
This probably won’t get a strong live action redo because of the Burton version being so fresh on the market and with Disney logos all over it.  There were things I liked about Burton’s version, but overall it didn’t hold up.  And it serves poorly as a sequel to the animated rendition.

It looked pretty.
I have spent a lot of time talking around the movie and not giving specifics.  It’s pretty good, a movie that has layers which make it as interesting to grownups as it is confusing to children.  Whatever.

            Share your own thoughts on this in the comments.  I know I am not the only person out there who is nostalgic for Disney products, and I am sure many people disagree with my selection for today’s entry. 
I have spent a lot of time talking around the movie and not giving specifics.  It’s pretty good, a movie that has layers which make it as interesting to grownups as it is confusing to children.  Whatever.  If you would like a video detailing a more detailed look at the differences between the book and the movie, go here.

______________________________

If you like or hate this please take the time to comment, +1, share on Twitter, Tumblr, or Facebook, and otherwise distribute my opinion to the world.  I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment