Sunday, May 29, 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge: Day 14


            I decided to do the 30 day movie challenge as a blog series as it ties into my blog activities rather easily and I am once again not blogging my usual series with regularity in spite of saying that I would.
            Today is "A Movie from my favorite Director".  Which, not so shockingly is Edgar Wright, and the movie I've chosen to highlight represents one of the best comedies produced ever.  "Hot Fuzz" the story of a police officer so good at his job that the people in charge tried to get rid of him, and he just ended up better at his job elsewhere.  Bit of an objectivist tale of triumph but it remains awesome.

They could've killed more people in this I think.

            Starring two of Wright's friends and frequent collaborators, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, the movie has a good blend of action, dark humor, very clever language and subversions of that language, a very light aesthetic which consistently portrays a very rural English sensibility, and as I mentioned a philosophical underpinning that good people will succeed regardless of bureaucratic stupidity.

Lawful Good: we're going to bust some heads and then fill out the proper paperwork

            Wright is actually more or less tied for my position of favorite director with Christopher Nolan.  The two of which have been collectively reinventing the Comedy, Noire, Action, and Superhero genres.  I can't really tell what pushed one over the other in regards to this blog, but I'm thinking that it is a property of volume.  Edgar Wright has made fewer movies, but each of them has been 5 stars with me, and "Scott PilgrimVersus the World" was my favorite movie of 2010, beating "Inception" Christopher Nolan's contribution to the world of cinema for that year... by a hair's breadth.

He does have a face you want to punch, like Jason Lee if he were English.

            And here I am again talking positively about someone and not really having any jokes to speak of.  I am glad that one of my favorite unsung superheroes (Hank "Ant-Man" Pym) will be getting a movie with Wright.  I wish that Wright would be put in charge of a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" movie, as he was only an extra on the last incarnation which would be charitably described as underwhelming.  I also think that he could do a good job on a "Doctor Who" movie, they could have the Doctor regenerate into Nick Frost at the start of the film and the Master regenerate into Simon Pegg and the rest is up to them, but I doubt they could fail with that.
Yes, I said Nick Frost as the Doctor.  Yes the fat one.  Cause it would be funnier that way.

            Actually, upon more consideration, I know why I picked Wright, he is less appreciated.  While Nolan is seen as a visionary that is inexplicably not awarded Oscars, Wright isn't even considered for the gold phallus shaped like a little gold man.  So yeah, my 8 reads per post will really help get the word out on Edgar's merit.
"Whoever doesn't see this movie is a mother fucker." -Guillermo Del Toro

No comments:

Post a Comment