Monday, May 23, 2011

30 Day Movie Challenge: Day 8


            I decided to do the 30 day movie challenge as a blog series as it ties into my blog activities rather easily and I am once again not blogging my usual series with regularity in spite of saying that I would.
            Today is "A Movie that I know all the Words to".  No contest here, "Ghostbusters" takes this one in a landslide.  I actually deleted a far distant movie challenge topic of "Movie you've seen countless times" because this is the only movie I can claim to have seen 100+ times.  Cause my Grandmother (who is awesome) used to watch me while my Mom and Dad were at work.  And even when I was freaking two, the best way to get me to settle down and be quite was science fiction mixed with clever comedians being smartasses.
What? I already posted a link to this music video in the "30 Day Movie Challenge". Well, watch it again.

            My love of this movie and the time I spent imbibing it doesn't end there though.  The sequel, utilitarianly named "Ghostbusters II" was another film I watched again and again.  And the animated series, the complete masters collection DVD set currently occupying a treasured space on my brother's DVD shelf in its firehouse shaped box.  I also had a hella lotta toys of the cartoon, most of which were played with till they simply fell apart (hence why I find Lego to be the best company for play things, they're nearly indestructible).  Oh, and then there is my waiting with baited breath for them to release the "Extreme Ghostbusters" cartoon to DVD.  Then there were the "Filmation's Ghostbusters" VHS tapes I had because they were related... In no way other than the name.  And that I played to completion the latest video game.  And I am also waiting for "Ghostbusters III" to hit theaters even though I'm sure it will be less than stellar.  What can I say this idea appeals to me on some level.
There was a coffee girl at Einstein's Bagels wearing this for Halloween, so wanted to mercilessly hit on her.

            See I am a big fan of science fiction, the paranormal, comedy (especially sarcasm) and the superhero genre.  This combines all of that together, though i suppose it would be a stretch to call the Ghostbusters superheroes, they only save the world on multiple occasions using gadgets of their own creation, but they are regular guys, with doctorates.
This was the video game on the Wii, which was criticized for its cartoon graphics.  Here is the thing, in 20 years, this game will still be a playable cartoon, and the more realistic graphics for the PS3 and Xbox360 will look shitty.  Style beats fidelity in any timeline of note.

            This movie is also very well paced and has a consistent look, it is New York, and it shows bits and pieces to help establish a growing sense of paranormal presence to keep it firmly grounded in New York, but at the same time pull you into a world that is far outside the norm.  Cause the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man is so awesome, that it kinda blows my mind.
"What?  What just popped in there?"

            I watched the commentary on the first movie where they sort of lament the special effects of the era not holding up, which I don't buy at all.  They have a clever use of miniatures, green screen, and animation to create an urban fantasy that passes my litmus test of believability.  I would even argue that if done now an excessive amount of CGI would end up cluttering the screen and over powering the actor's individual screen presence.
"Extreme Ghostbusters" a forgotten gem of 90's animation and story telling.

            Is this my favorite movie?  No, but it is in the top 10 and influenced my growing mind more than any other bit of Hollywood spectacle.  Would I recommend it?  Do I have to?  I have only ever met one girl who hadn't seen this movie prior to me talking about it, and I lent her the DVD's to one and two.  Then I threatened to turn her into ham cubes and serve her at a buffet if she didn't watch them.  So yeah, if you haven't seen it, go watch it.  It is the best comedy of the 80's.
It had its own charms.

            (Side note to the Lego toy company, if you make "Ghostbusters" sets, I will buy them.  Seriously, I will find a way to make them part of my decor, an ecto-1 and a fire house.  Do that.)
Not to much to ask is all I'm saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment