Friday, July 28, 2017

Dungeons and Dragons, "Craziest Game Session"

Standard Introduction
            I have been writing about Dungeons and Dragons semi-regularly this year and in the course of writing those I found a 30-day blog challenge.  As I have done those a couple times before it seemed remiss not to jump on this one.
            If you want here is a link to my 30-day challenge on Disney Movies, here is a link to my 30-day challenge on Video Games, and here is a comically out of date 30-day challenge on Movies (it is old and the writing is rubbish).
 
Florida Gulf Coast University

Day 28- Craziest thing to Happen Out of Game
            For my undergraduate degree in Political Science I attended the then new and tiny (10,000 students), Florida Gulf Coast University.
            One night back in 2005 there was a power outage.  I, being a tabletop gamer was able to just walk over to my group’s dorm room knock and we set up a game to keep us busy.
            We were rolling dice and chatting about how we could hear a ton of noise outside.  Lots of voices of the people deciding to go night swimming in the artificial lake to pass the time (at the time that fake lake looked like the world’s widest puddle, these days it looks a great deal more inviting).
            My group and I, being somewhat stuck up nerds were hmm-ing and hah-ing at the idea that people were getting so loud about a power outage, and kind of laughing at their expense because it was October, and even in Florida it would be too cold to swim.
            That is when we heard people yelling and we decided to gaze out the window to the “beach”.  A group of people had lit one of the tiki themed picnic tables on fire and it was going up completely.  Campus police pulled up, dozens of students scattered, and the power was back on shortly after (I think it was off for a total of about 90 minutes).  For the next few weeks there were charred remains of a moronic activity gone awry sitting down by the water.
            This did not have anything to do with me, but it is the craziest activity to happen proximate to a game that I was playing in.
 
Maybe it is wrong to point to these grass topped things and call them tiki themed picnic tables.
I don't know what to call them.  I also don't know when this pic was taken.
Coming Tomorrow

            Tomorrow I am going to talk about my best experience playing. 

______________________________
            If you like or hate this please take the time to comment, +1, share on Twitter (click that link to follow me), Tumblr, or Facebook, and otherwise distribute my opinion to the world.  I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment