Friday, July 21, 2017

Dungeons and Dragons, "My Favorite Monster"

Standard Introduction
            I have been writing about Dungeons and Dragons semi-regularly this year and in the course of writing those I found a 30-day blog challenge.  As I have done those a couple times before it seemed remiss not to jump on this one.
            If you want here is a link to my 30-day challenge on Disney Movies, here is a link to my 30-day challenge on Video Games, and here is a comically out of date 30-day challenge on Movies (it is old and the writing is rubbish).

Day 21- My Favorite Monster
            Liches.  I already talked about it in the “Undead” section and here, “My Favorite Deity”.
            I find that I am getting a little redundant with all of this discussion about monsters and instead of saying again what I like about a thing that I have already said I like I would instead point back at the last few days of talking about favorite monsters and give myself a light day on this 30-day blog challenge.

Fiends
Celestials
Dragons
Undead

            Maybe Oozes, Shapeshifters, and Constructs will be something I do for some Sunday blog after the challenge wraps up.  They do seem to be the groups left by the wayside.  Maybe I should have welded them into like groups, Oozes with Plants to get their own day, Shapeshifters with Aberrations, and Constructs with Undead.
            Oh well, live and learn.


Bonus: My Favorite Dice
            No joke, there was originally a section on the challenge called “Favorite Dice” which I guess was supposed to be the free light day to catch a proverbial breath but I decided to cut that one because I thought it would be stupid to just take a picture of a chunk of plastic.
            Besides I no longer own my favorite D20.  I was hosting an Intro to Dungeons and Dragons workshop at a Convention and lent it to one of the more experienced players who sat in and wanted to help, but he took it with him by accident.  I never managed to get it back.  I also have no pictures of it, as it is not a person and thus I saw no reason to invest in it some kind of nostalgia or affection.
            I decided to that entry here to fill out this a bit and to avoid redundancy.  I hope it does not seem too off topic.
 
Quick and important lesson.
If you are going to buy dice to play a Tabletop RPG, make sure they are easy to read.
The dice pictured here have high contrast, you can read them easily from across a table.
Conversely, these dice are shit.
Low contrast between the number and the background makes it hard to read.
None of that swirly distracting crap is going to help you play the game.
They're random number generators, stop complicating them with nonsense.

Coming Tomorrow
            Tomorrow I am going to talk about "Locations and Dungeons".

______________________________
            If you like or hate this please take the time to comment, +1, share on Twitter (click that link to follow me), Tumblr, or Facebook, and otherwise distribute my opinion to the world.  I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment