Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Best Video Game Controls

            I have not been posting nearly enough this year and I want to steer back from that.  To that end I have found a 30-day blog challenge and will be writing out entries, hopefully I can get all thirty days without any breaks, and if I manage to do that (since August has 31 days) I will think of an additional entry to write about.  I have done a 30-day challenge before, it for movies, but that was a while back, feel free to read those too if you like.

            Today is day 17 and the topic is “Video Game with best Gameplay”.
            “Batman: Arkham City” and really the whole franchise has to be given some kind of award in the arena of gameplay.  There is a reason this game got its combat mechanics ripped off by every other game in existence, because the attack, dodge, counter, and stun button commands are so intuitive and easy to get into, but are not instantly mastered, as there is a rhythm to the system almost akin to a music game.  The controls also allow for traps and additional gadgets to be thrown into the mix, and it blends in seamlessly with stealth mechanics, and in no way clashes with the detective and exploration gameplay which makes perfect use of the environment.
"I think you and me are destined to do this forever."
            This game is silky smooth and will probably continue to be the standard in combat mechanics moving forward.  I have no substantive criticism for the series on this front, and encourage people to play it.  I suppose people could point to the “Assassin’s Creed” franchise for where this style got going, but I would like to point out that most of those controls were counter dependent, waiting for someone else to attack so you could thwart them and deal damage, the first game in that series was a slog because of how long it would take to get thru the ever increasing waves of opponents who all surrounded you and attacked one at a time.  Which sucked.  Batman got it right from the beginning by not making ever opponent identical in attack pattern and having them work together forcing you to mix up your move sets to take down the baddies before ducking back into the shadows.  Batman was a better stealth game than the one’s about stealth murderers.
You're going to die in a land that doesn't even know your name.
             What game do you think has the best gameplay?  Do you think I am wrong about giving one of the most critically lauded games of all time this focus?  Would you prefer I focus on the pure and timeless power of Mario jumping?  Because that is pretty reasonable, there were more games ripping off Mario platformers then there are ripping off Batman.  But I think the Batman has a little more depth so I give it the point.  What do you think?  Feel free to respond below.

______________________________
If you like or hate this please take the time to comment, +1, share on Twitter, Tumblr, or Facebook, and otherwise distribute my opinion to the world.  I would appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment